village of Hatch is at 4,050 feet in elevation, has an annual rainfall
of 7.4” and promotes itself as the "Chile Capital of the World," for
growing a wide variety of peppers, especially the New Mexican cuisine
staple, and one of New Mexico's state vegetables, the New Mexico Chile.
Hatch, was originally settled as Santa Barbara in 1851. However, Apache raids drove the farmers away until 1853 when the nearby Fort Thorn was established. When Fort Thorn closed in 1859, the town was abandoned again in 1860. It was not until 1875 that it was re-occupied and at that time, it was renamed for Indian fighter Edward Hatch, who was then commander of the military District of New Mexico.